In many big cities like London and New York, we can see many people cycling to work every morning. In fact, it’s an effective way to start a low-carbon lifestyle. Cycling to work is a great way to work out for it can save fuel and escape traffic. However, there are of course some tips that you should notice when you decide to cycling to work.
1. Pay attention to your clothes. Wear a bright jacket or high visibility vest so that you can be seen at all times. Most accidents occur when a driver has not seen a cyclist.
2. Push bikes need looking after, so make sure you keep your push bike in good working condition. Clean it regularly; invest in the right tools and proper cycling gear.
3. Plan and change your route from time to time. You can choose from multiple routes that would save you from both, the hassle of vehicle fumes and traffic. This will also ensure it doesn’t get monotonous over time.
4. Make sure you have everything you need. Carry a pair of spare shoes, clothes, socks as well as some money. You may also want to keep a small toolkit that will come in handy in any case you have trouble with the bike.
5. Familiarize yourself with the different rules and laws around the use of bikes. This will make you a lot more confident when you’re cycling through the city or through an unfamiliar section of town.
6. Avoid getting into arguments with drivers. It will only waste your time and stress you out. If there is anything you want to say, say it politely. It must be hard for drivers being stuck in traffic all the time!
So, if you are upset with the everyday’s bad traffic condition like I do, and if you are thinking about ditching the car for an exciting cycle ride to work, remember these useful tips and you won’t go wrong. It is also a good way to realize a low-carbon lifestyle.